Pigmentation Treatment can be excess or less pigmentation called Hyperpigmentation or Hypopigmentation respectively. It can present as dark or pale patches on the skin. A professional diagnosis from a dermatologist is vital so that treatment can be directed towards the cause. We are doing Pigmentation Treatment in Manchester. Do you have any Queries about this services, Feel free to contact us.
What is pigmentation?
How it works
Our leading Consultant Dermatologist, Dr Rajani Nalluri, or her secretary will respond to your enquiry with a complimentary telephone discussion or email, to answer any questions regarding the consultation process and schedule an appointment for you to see her in the clinic or virtually.
- A questionnaire will be emailed out for you to complete
- Also include image/s of your skin condition in the email (far and close up views)
- Please return them at least 24 hours before your appointment so that it can be reviewed in detail, and the consultation time used more effectively.
Dr Nalluri will provide a medical diagnosis and discuss your treatment options during the consultation
Melasma is the most common cause of hyperpigmentation in people with skin of colour.
Melasma presents as dark patches on the cheeks, the forehead, the bridge of your nose, your upper lip and/or your chin.
What causes melasma?
It is a condition that commonly runs within a family. Pregnancy, contraceptive pills, and sun exposure (both UV and visible light from the sun or light bulbs) can also be a cause of Melasma.
How do we treat melasma?
An initial consultation is required to make diagnosis and discuss treatment options. Melasma can usually be assessed clinically, without the need of a biopsy.
Treatment options (both medical and cosmetic) include:
- Depigmenting Creams – we usually recommend using the cream for 3-6 months to reach optimum results.
- Sunscreen – sunscreens that are effective at blocking pigmentation are essential as UVA/UVB sunscreens alone are insufficient.
- Chemical Peels – This treatment can only be performed by a trained professional and multiple sessions may be required
- Laser – some types of laser can be effective in treating Melasma.
- Tranexamic Acid – this is one of the most effective treatments for Melasma and is available as oral medication, topical creams and injectables. Treatment courses can last between 2-6 months. This clinic has one of the very few dermatologists in the country with experience in using Tranexamic Acid.
PIH presents as brown or purple patches that are left behind after skin irritation or damage in skin of colour patients.
What causes PIH?
PIH is caused by irritation from other skin conditions, like acne, eczema, psoriasis, seborrhoeic dermatitis and lichen planus. It can also be caused by physical injuries like burns or grazes.
Treatment is aimed at:
- treating the underlying cause of skin irritation
- methods to lighten the pigmentation
Lichen planus pigmentosus
LPP presents as grey to brown patches that affect the face, neck, upper limbs, skin folds and the groin.
Treatment is aimed at:
- i) reduction of the inflammation
- ii) lightening the pigmentation.
Acanthosis Nigricans presents as velvety, thick, dark skin affecting the back of the neck, underarms and groin area, the forehead and upper cheeks.
What causes AN?
Acanthosis Nigricans is associated with high blood pressure, obesity, high cholesterol and heart disease.
How do we treat AN?
Treatment includes depigmenting or skin lightening agents.
What causes vitiligo?
Vitiligo is an autoimmune disease where the body’s immune system attacks its own pigment cells (melanocytes).
Treatment options include:
- Topical steroids and calcineurin inhibitors
- In cases of severe and rapidly spreading vitiligo, oral medications can be recommended.
- Phototherapy or Excimer laser are used certain cases
- Surgical treatment such as a Punch Graft or a Melanocyte Transfer can be offered in carefully selected cases.
Our Consultant Dermatologist has undergone specialist training to provide cutting edge treatment for pigmentation occurring in ALL skin types, including skin of colour.
In most cases, our outpatient services can be administered on the same day as your initial consultation. Varna Pigmentation offers our clients quick and easy access to advanced dermatological advice and streamlined treatment services.
Dr Nalluri has a unique and specialist interest in pigmentation and treating all skin types
Find out more about your Consultant Dermatologist
”I was treated by Dr Nalluri who is a highly qualified and experienced consultant dermatologist. My treatment experience and outcome were excellent. Friendly, helpful staff, lovely clean environment, highly recommended.Gina Garvey